BADIL Resource Center
4 July 2003
For Immediate Release
The 46-page June issue of Al-Majdal is entitled
ROAD MAP OR ROADBLOCK? WHY INTERNATIONAL LAW MATTERS
The editorial discusses the role of international law in peacemaking and outlines the ‘rules of the road’ towards a just and durable solution of the Palestinian refugee question. A summary of the proceedings of the BADIL Expert Forum, “The Role of International Law and Human Rights in Peacemaking and Crafting Durable Solutions for Palestinian Refugees” (University of Ghent, 22-23 May) is included in the feature/debate section.
In addition, the June issue of Al-Majdal includes
Activity Updates, Campaign for Palestinian Refugee Rights, among them reports about:
- Palestinian Land Day
- 55th Anniversary of the Deir Yassin Masssacre: Activities in Jerusalem
- Palestinian Community Debates and Workshops in the West Bank
- 55th Anniversary of al-Nakba: Memorial Events in Palestine
- Release of the BADIL Hebrew-language Information Packet/The Right of Return
- BADIL Launch of the 2003 – 2004 Expert Forum on Palestinian Refugees
- Workshop on International Refugee Protection, Beirut, 2-3 June (AIDUN-Groups Lebanon and Syria and BADIL)
- 36th Anniversary of Israel’s Occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip: memorial activities of the Israeli initiative Zochrot (Remember)
- A guest article, “A Guide for the Perplexed” by Laurie King Irani on the Sabra and Shatila Case in Belgium.
Sections dedicated to Refugee Protection and Assistance, among them:
- a Report from the May 2003 Session of the UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
- Displaced Once Again, Palestinian Refugees in Iraq Seek International Protection
- “Beer Sheba: The Forgotten Half of Palestine,” a contribution by Dr. Salman Abu Sitta.
“The People’s Campaign for Peace and Democracy, A Clear Call for Waiving the Rights” by Issa Qaraq’a, member of the Fatah High Committee and Head of the Palestinian Prisoners’ Society in the West Bank.
A list of the names of Palestinians killed by Israeli military forces (1 April – 1 June 2003).
Samples of recent statements issued in Palestine on the Nusseibeh-Ayalon initiative.
- A Statement Issued by the Palestinian National Liberation Movement / Fatah – Hebron District
- A Statement Issued by Union of Youth Activity Centers / Palestinian refugee Camps - Palestine
Please note: Print copies of this issue will be mailed shortly to our subscribers. A PDF version of Al-Majdal 18 is published on the BADIL website: www.badil.org/Publications/Majdal/2003.